Thursday, March 23, 2017
Vol. 6, No. 58
Thankfully Thursday, and I see a great weekend coming. Meanwhile.. full steam ahead!
The LAD is your 360 view of the legal services industry. The LAD is your complete source for articles, jobs, and blogs. The LAD - it's all about the BUSINESS of LAW.
We are the many in the U.S.
and around the
---- The Calendar ----
The Legal Marketing Association Annual Conference - March 27 - 29, 2017 in Las Vegas NV
Corporate Legal Operations Consortium May Institute - May 9 - 11, 2017, Las Vegas NV
ALA Annual Conference - Denver, April 2-5, 2017
LSSO RainDance Conference - Dallas. May 9th - 10th, 2017
ILTA SharePoint Symposium - May 23-24-2017 in Chicago, IL _____________
---- Articles ----
ILTA LegalSEC Summit - June 12 - 14, 2017, Arlington VA
ILTA Conference - August 13 - 17-2017 at Mandalay Bay Las Vegas, NV.
ACC Annual Meeting - October 15 - 18, 2017 in Washington D.C.
Which legal technology conference is best for you? While pitching their own Clio conference, Lauren Sanders offers some helpful advice on which conference is best for you.
Attorneys and Flex Schedules
Thanks to Stephanie Russell-Kraft for her reporting on a recent survey conducted by the Diversity and Flexibility Alliance.
The take-away from the survey: attorneys on a partnership track do not take advantage of reduced-hours policies. No big surprise? But what does this say about the state of the business of law? Is there no room for a partner with other obligations (aging parents, young children, commitment to volunteerism.. ) ?
Surely the culture in law firms has room for partners who contribute more than just hours. How do firms measure the 'value' of a partner?
Is it time for a reset?
Going Digital (Paperless)
Attending the ALA conference? Here is a session you don't want to miss. Thanks to the team at DocSolid for a session making the business case for going digital (or in other words - going paperless).
PS: these guys have a great ROI calculator on their website. It will help you really think through the dollars-and-sense of a paperless initiative.
The Computers Are Coming
In a parallel universe inhabited by CPAs, it sees lawyers are not the only profession concerned about the impact of technology on their employment prospects. This article about the role of computing in the accounting profession by Lindsey Patterson, Senior Manager - Communications and Public Relations, Association of International Certified Professional Accountants discusses the topic.
Seems Ms. Patterson had a rather engaged reaction to comments by Mark Cuban who said.. "he would not want to be a CPA right now because advances in technology mean it isn't a profession for the future".. Her rebuttal zeros in on the value-add that CPAs bring to the table.
---- Must Read ----
Hear yea, hear yea. This article from the team at Clio is all about the value of listening
Encrypting your PDF documents is the ONLY way to assure they are not changed by the recipient. Do you know how to encrypt documents using Adobe Acrobat? Here is a brief tutorial that will get you started. Feel free to contact me directly if you need help!
Bill Lipner, Editor, writing to you from Asheville N.C., the garden of the Carolinas.
Linkedin Profile - lets get connected!
Bill on Twitter.
See our free newsletter for IT folks.
See our free newsletter for Librarians.
See our free newsletter for Training folks.
Time and Billing
Litigation Support / Practice Management
- How Listening Can Make Your Law Firm More Money, Clio Blog, March 22, 2017
- Timekeeping for Accounting Firms: 3 Reasons Why it Matters, Bellefield Blog, March 22, 2017
Document Management / Knowledge Management
- EDRM Launches Security Audit Questionnaire, Commonwealth Legal Blog, March 22, 2017
- The Weather Company Collaborates with Leading Luxury Automobile Manufacturer to Provide Drivers with Hyperlocal Weather Information, StoredIQ, March 22, 2017
- DocSolid Presents “Making the Business Case for Going Digital” at ALA Annual Conference & Expo, DocSolid, March 22, 2017
- Build a Spark bot to share Box files with your colleagues in seconds, The Box Blog, March 23, 2017
- Startup Corner: Briefed in Focus, Legal IT Insider, March 23, 2017
- Top 5 Office 365 Stats for 2016, Mimecast, March 22, 2017
- Nelson Mullins Riley & Scarborough, LLP Selects FileTrail for Its New Records Management Solution, Legal IT Professionals, March 22, 2017
- Nelson Mullins Riley & Scarborough, LLP Selects FileTrail for Its New Records Management Solution, Legal IT Insider, March 22, 2017
- AI-Based Legal Research Firm Casetext Closes on $12 Million in Funding, Legal IT Professionals, March 22, 2017
- Prominent BeNeLux Law Firm Stibbe Replaces Workshare and Adobe with DocsCorp, Legal IT Professionals, March 22, 2017
- iManage Announces Dates, Details for ConnectLive 2017 User Conference, Legal IT Professionals, March 22, 2017
- Casetext closes $12m funding round, Legal IT Insider, March 22, 2017
- All you need to know about GDPR and Cloud service providers, Legal IT Insider, March 22, 2017
- EDRM and Duke Law Announce Webinar Event – 4th April, Legal IT Insider, March 22, 2017
- Clio Powers Ireland’s Leading Boutique IP and Data-Protection Firm, Legal IT Insider, March 22, 2017
- Legal IT Newswire: Tech M&A into the UK is riding high, according to new research from Livingstone, Legal IT Insider, March 22, 2017
- Thinking the Once Unthinkable - Uber Could Fail, Law and More, March 23, 2017
- Trumpism's Many Legal Problems - But, Why Not Enjoy the Joke It Is, Like Graydon Carter, Law and More, March 23, 2017
- Gamage & Shanske: Why A State-Level Carbon Tax Can Include Border Adjustments, TaxProf Blog, March 23, 2017
- Alston & Bird Opens Office in San Francisco, Expands in L.A., Bloomberg BNA: The Legal Market, March 22, 2017
- Law Firms Promote Flexible Work Arrangements Lawyers Don’t Use, Bloomberg BNA: The Legal Market, March 22, 2017
- Gorsuch Faulted as Top Court Spurns Him on Disabled Students, Bloomberg BNA: The Legal Market, March 22, 2017
- Is Deutsche Bank’s Refusal to Pay Junior Lawyers Misguided?, Bloomberg BNA: The Legal Market, March 22, 2017
- Two Insiders on SEC’s Possible Future Under Clayton, Bloomberg BNA: Law Departments, March 22, 2017
- Judge Disqualifies Kasowitz and DLA Piper in Contract Dispute, Citing Conflicts of Interest for Both Sides, The AM Law Daily, March 22, 2017
- Jones Day Calls Detroit Mayor 'Political Hack' in Response to Threatened Suit, The AM Law Daily, March 22, 2017
- Boies/Schiller Film Group's Suit Could Unleash Litigation Beast, The AM Law Daily, March 22, 2017
- Global Law Firms and Vereins: The End of the Affair?, The AM Law Daily, March 22, 2017
- Husch Blackwell Revenue Soars, Partner Profits Slip After Merger, The AM Law Daily, March 22, 2017
- GSK Faces Familiar Foe in Ex-Reed Smith Partner's Suicide Trial, The AM Law Daily, March 22, 2017
- Clio Announces New Integrations, Enhanced Features #ABATECHSHOW, Law Sites Blog, March 22, 2017
- How to Calculate Your New Business Pipeline, Lawyerist.com, March 22, 2017
- Your Firm Cannot Afford Inefficiency or Outdated Contract Terms. Where Can You Start?, Mattern of Fact Blog, March 22, 2017
- A DEAL FOR DONALD TRUMP, The Belly of the Beast, March 22, 2017
- Ring Presents Leak-Driven Law Today At Boston College, TaxProf Blog, March 22, 2017
- Shanske Presents Equitable Apportionment And The State Corporate Income Tax Today At Duke, TaxProf Blog, March 22, 2017
- Yariv Brauner Named To Hugh Culverhouse Eminent Scholar Chair At Florida, TaxProf Blog, March 22, 2017
- Avi-Yonah Posts Two Tax Papers on SSRN, TaxProf Blog, March 22, 2017
- U of Cincinnati College of Law's Jennifer Bard - Caught in Typical Academic Buzzsaw, Law and More, March 22, 2017
- Deutsche Bank to UK BigLaw - We Don't Pay for Junior Lawyer Work, Law and More, March 22, 2017
- Trump SEC Pick Set for Contentious Reunion With Elizabeth Warren, Bloomberg BNA: Law Departments, March 22, 2017
- A Texas-Sized Centennial for Vinson & Elkins, Bloomberg BNA: The Legal Market, March 22, 2017
- What to Do About Account Conflicts in Office 365, Kraft Kennedy Technology Blog, March 22, 2017
- That Time I Told Mark Cuban He Was Wrong About the CPA Profession, AICPA Insights, March 22, 2017
- Second Circuit Rejects Employee’s Trypanophobia Claim, Connecticut Employment Blog, March 22, 2017
- SCOTUS takes largely meaningless swipe at Obama’s NLRB legacy, Ohio Employer's Law Blog, March 22, 2017
- Legal Research Company Casetext Closes on $12 Million in Funding, Law Sites Blog, March 22, 2017
- In Search Of Votes, GOP Makes Changes To Plan To Repeal & Replace Obamacare, Tax Girl Blog, March 22, 2017
- Schmalbeck, Soled & Thomas: The Case For A Carryover Tax Basis Regime, TaxProf Blog, March 22, 2017
- Podcast #112: How to Ditch Your Computer and Work from Your Phone, with Chad Burton, Lawyerist.com, March 22, 2017
- Office 365 Business Premium: All the Extras Worth Checking Out, Legal Productivity, March 22, 2017
- Dawn Hudson to Deliver Keynote Address at InterAction Accelerate 2017 Summit, Business of Law Blog, March 22, 2017
- Uber, Like BigLaw, Champions "Cult of Individual", Law and More, March 22, 2017
- Inconvenient Branding: We Are Our Jobs, Not All Jobs Are Created Equal, Law and More, March 22, 2017
- WSJ "Drunk" Analogy for Trump's Wiretap Claim - A Line Has Been Crossed, Law and More, March 22, 2017
Copyright © 2017 by PinHawk LLC. All rights reserved.
This newsletter is edited by Bill Lipner.
PinHawk LLC does not warrant that the information in this email will meet any specific requirements nor that it will be error free or uninterrupted; nor shall PinHawk LLC be liable for any indirect, incidental or consequential damages (including lost data, information or profits) sustained or incurred in connection with the use of, operation of, or inability to use the information contained herein. By reading this email you agree to the
Terms and Conditions.
Contact: PinHawk LLC, 445 Hamilton Avenue, Suite 1102, White Plains, NY 10601, tel. 914-358-0034 or email@example.com
Don't let this important email be caught by a spam filter,
ensure delivery to your inbox.